Thursday, July 23, 2009

It's been a rough three months....

Well - I think that I am finally reaching the end of some horrible months. You see - I have Endometriosis, and it was causing me a great deal of pain. Because I've had this for ~15 years, and have already had 3 surgeries for it, my doctor decided that having a hysterectomy would be the best thing for me. He said that I wouldn't have to have any more surgeries for the Endometrisis after this, and I would out of the hospital in 5 days, max.

Sounds like a decent plan, right? Yeah - it did to me too. Unfortunately... that's not what happened. I had my first surgery on 7 May. During that surgery, the doctor nicked my intestine, and I developed blood infections. I was quite sick. So I had another surgery 15 May. During that surgery the doctor had to take out 8-inches of my intestine and sew them back together again.

So - the only way that my intestines would heal, was for me not to eat or drink Anything!!! For two months (since 14 May), I couldn't eat anything, drink anything and had a semi-permanent IV inserted (a PIC line), so that I could receive liquid nutrition.

Then - if this wasn't bad enough, with the second operation, there was an infection that developed near the incisions, so I had my third (and hopefully final) same day surgery 10 July.

But today I had good news! I can start eating again! And - at the end of the month, I can return to work! I am sooo happy.

1 comment:

Two Happy Stampers said...

Wow, what an ordeal! You must be thrilled to be able to eat some real food again. I know I would... I can't imagine not being able to eat anything! Hope you're feeling better soon! =)